Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 5 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Royer SF-12 Stereo Ribbon Microphone Black Chrometrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
Royer SF-12 Stereo Ribbon Microphone Black Chrome$2,695.00
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
- Ships Internationally
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
A hi-fidelity ribbon mic with excellent stereo imaging.
The Royer SF-12 utilizes two 1.8-micron ribbons, each weighing approximately 1/3 milligram and producing superb transient response. The two ribbon transducers are magnet/pole piece structures that produce a wide, uniform frequency response with no substantial peaks or dips. The case is ingot iron and forms part of the magnetic return circuit, an effective system with low leakage flux which accounts for the relatively high sensitivity in a trim package. The SF-12 ribbon mic's extension cable comes with a Y adapter that splits into separate 3-pin male XLR connectors labeled "Upper" and "Lower," for the upper and lower capsules of the microphone (when held vertically).
Recording with the SF-12
The SF-12 is uncanny for creating "you-are-there" stereo recordings that capture not only the instrument being recorded, but, depending on positioning, the acoustic environment as well. If you pay careful attention to the sound of an instrument or ensemble in the recording environment, you will likely find a place where it sounds best to you. Position the SF-12 mic in that place and you will capture that sound.
The Royer SF-12 is an excellent choice for drum overheads, where its stereo imaging and realism help to create powerful, dynamic drum tracks. In a jazz setting, recording the kit flat provides extremely natural sounding cymbals, tom-toms and snares. In rock and pop recordings where you'd like to capture the meat of the kit but with more air on the cymbals to help them cut more aggressively, simply open the top end up with EQ. Ribbons take EQ extremely well because they generate virtually no self-distortion. When you boost a frequency, even by many dB, you'll bring up only the musical response you're looking for without unpleasant distortion artifacts joining the party.
Recording in Mono
Phase compatibility between the two sides of the SF-12 ribbon mic is excellent, allowing you to combine the two channels for mono recording without creating phase artifacts. This is particularly useful when capturing a wide sound field in mono; for instance, a singer who tends to move off the sweet spot of a mono microphone. Either side of the Royer SF-12 can also be used individually as a mono microphone.
What the pros are saying about the SF-12:
"The SF-12 as a drum overhead mic gives me something I've never been able to get before. God, I love this mic!" Chuck Ainlay (Vince Gill, George Strait, Reba McEntire, Mark Knopfler)
Literally since the day I got my SF-12 I've used it on every session I've recorded. This mic is really a fantastic package."
Steve Albini (Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, The Breeders)
- True stereophonic (Blumlein and M-S) recording from one microphone.
- High SPL capabilities.
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating.
- Extremely low residual noise.
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity.
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion.
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of elements.
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance.
- High efficiency, matching toroidal transformers.
- Very low magnetic leakage.
Get a great mic for X-Y overhead recordings. Order yours today.
SF-12 Stereo Ribbon Microphone Specifications:
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Symmetrical figure-8
- Generating Element: 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon
- Frequency Response: 30-15,000 Hz ± 3dB
- Sensitivity: > -52 dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1K (nominal)
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms @ 300 nominal impedance
- Maximum SPL: >130dB
- Output Connector: Male XLR 5 pin (stereo*)
- Dimensions: 206 mm L X 25 mm W (8" L X 1" W)
- Weight: 369 Grams (13 Oz)
- Finish: Matte Black Chrome, Dull Satin Nickel (optional)
- Orders placed before 5 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.