- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Tascam DR-40X Portable Digital Recorder
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- L47093 000000000 L47093000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The DR-40X is a versatile four-track audio recorder for cinema, music, podcasting and any other application where clear capture and quality overdubbi...Click To Read More About This Product
Four-track digital audio recorder and USB audio interface.
The DR-40X is a versatile four-track audio recorder for cinema, music, podcasting and any other application where clear capture and quality overdubbing is critical. The easy-to-use compact design integrates a high-performance feature set and versatile audio I/O.
Professional I/O for live capture or line level input
Dual Neutrik® XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4dBu line-level. The DR-40X inputs can accept balanced microphone or line level from mixers or the FOH console. The microphone preamp also includes +48V phantom power and plenty of gain for detailed recordings using condenser microphones, as well as electret microphones. Using the stereo built-in microphones, you can capture ambient sound of the surroundings while recording direct from an external console—ideal for live performance.
Record clear audio anywhere
DR-40X allows high-quality recording with its stereo built-in condenser microphones. Every detail is captured from a whisper all the way up to 125dB. The built-in microphones are adjustable unidirectional microphones for recording in an X/Y pattern for tight stereo imaging, or in an A/B pattern for a more ambient recording.
Easy to operate
TASCAM created a totally revamped user interface, making it easy to access recording, adjusting levels, deleting takes, adding markers, and other common functions with just the click of a thumb. And DR-40X now includes a new powerful bright white backlit display that’s easy to see even in the brightest sunlight.
Turn your room into a studio
The DR-40X taps offers a studio-quality 2 in/2 out USB audio interface, making the DR-40X a perfect fit for live streaming, podcasting, and digital audio workstations. Built-in microphones operate as USB microphones without complicated settings changes.
Multi-language interface inside
Multi-language menus in English/ Spanish/ French/ Italian/ German/ Russian/Chinese/ Korean/ Japanese/ Portuguese are included.
Dictation mode for voice recording and transcription playback
In addition to its capability to capture crisp voice recording, DR-40X can help you with its instant Jump back function, variable Speed function and equalizer preset for human voice.
Film-makers and videographers often experience sudden audio volume spikes during filming. An actor could suddenly scream, or a documentary subject could do almost anything. DR-40X has a Dual Recording mode that captures a copy of your take but at a lower level, as a safety track in case of sudden distortion.
Four-track recording mode
In addition to normal stereo channel recording and Dual Recording mode, DR-40X has “4CH Mode” that can record two different stereo feeds simultaneously. The combination of the sources are flexible; recording the built-in microphones along with a pair of external Mics such as close-up and ambient microphones, or recording the built-in Mics along with a balanced line input such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the environment.
Never miss a take
DR-40X is equipped with Auto Recording functionality to automatically start recording when an input signal is detected, and Peak Reduction technology to guard against sudden spikes in loudness. Recording modes include Overwrite Mode, which allows users to select a precise Record drop-in time for replacement recording with one level of undo, and Nondestructive Overdubbing allows you to record new sounds onto an existing recording while leaving the original file unaffected.
Record higher quality for longer
The DR-40X allows studio-quality linear PCM recordings up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF format, as well as memory-friendly MP3 format. With extended battery life and increased capacity for microSDXC cards up to 128GB, the DR-40X can literally record for days on end.
- The ideal choice for DSLR filmmakers, musicians, sound designers, podcasters, and more
- Dual unidirectional stereo condenser mics scalable for A/B or X/Y recording
- XLR/TRS combo inputs compatible with +4dBu line level/+48V
- Built-in +48V phantom power
- 4-channel recording mode for nondestructive overdubbing or multi-track recording
- Integrated 2-In/2-Out USB audio interface for PC or Mac recording, podcasting
- MS Decoding functionality for Mid-Side microphones
- Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control
- Overwrite function for punch-in replace recording, with one level of Undo
- Dictation mode to instantly incrementally jump back playback including speed control and a special dictation EQ
- Auto Recording function starts recording when sound level is detected
- Simple one-touch user interface with QUICK menu button for all common functions
- Extended battery life up to 17.5 hours with standard AA alkaline batteries
- High capacity microSDXC card capacity for hundreds of hours of recording time
Four-track handheld with built-in audio interface.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.