- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Kanstul Model 1690 F/C/Db/A Contra Bass Trombone
- Write a Review
- H75333 000001000 H75333000001000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Kanstul's largest trombone, the Model 1690 F contrabass met with immediate success when introduced, and is used in symphony orchestras around the wor...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Used by many top studio players.
Kanstul's largest trombone, the Model 1690 F contrabass met with immediate success when introduced, and is used in symphony orchestras around the world. Considered one of the top contra bass trombones in the world it used by many in the studios of Los Angeles.
One of the difficulties of designing such a large trombone is ergonomics. The size and weight of such an instrument can become a burden for the player, and without proper ergonomic design simply exchanges musicality for stress. The ergonomic design of the Model 1690 properly fits the trombone to the human hand - distributing the weight in a sensible manner - and is adjustable. Large diameter ergonomic cork barrels and rounded connector nut, a neoprene covered hand pad, and adjustable trigger paddles allow a player to remain comfortable and focus on the business of music.
Though the vintage BBb contrabass trombone may be more famous, Zig Kanstul chose the key of F for his instrument to create a nimble voice that works with the player, rather than against him. As a solo, orchestral, or studio instrument, you'll find that mastery of our F contra bass comes quickly, and any transpositions and longer hand slide positions are quickly learned. Any perceived advantages of a BBb contra bass are quelled after one blow on a Kanstul. For the experienced bass trombone player, the addition of the Kanstul contra bass will add extra opportunity for you to share your craft.
Artists currently using the 1690 include top studio players Phil Teele, George Thatcher, Bruce Otto, Craig Gosnell, and Bob Sanders; Jeff Cortazzo of the U.S. Army Blues and Capitol Bones, Joe Barati (Harry Connick, Jr.) and Paul Pollard of the Metropolitan Opera.
The 1690 trombone features a dual bore .562"/.608" nickel slide with extended water key. The inline CR rotors are stepped bore, in .630" and .670" to improve low range response. The bell is 10 1/4" diameter yellow brass.
- Two-piece yellow brass bell
- .630" / .670" C/DB section with full bore CR rotors
- Nickel-silver hand slide and end crook
- Adjustable hand support included (not shown)
- Open wrap
- Does not include mouthpiece or case
Order an ergonomic contra bass trombone today!
- Key: F/C/DB/A
- Bore: .562" - .608" dual bore slide
- Bell: 10 1/4" diameter
- Mouthpipe: Removable
- Valves: Double independent CR valves in .630" and .670"
- Water keys: Traditional
- Finish: Clear lacquer or silver
- Mouthpiece: Kanstul 2a Contrabass trombone
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.