In the small Italian town of Salle, several generations of the D’Addario family were “cordaros”, or string makers, before relocating to New York in 1905 and continuing the family tradition. As synthetic substitutes began to be used in string manufacturing, the D’Addario family continued to be at the forefront of innovations and breakthroughs, including creating the first automated string winding equipment. Following a short-lived merge with guitar manufacturer C.F. Martin & Co., the D’Addario family decided to develop their own product under a new name, D’Addario & Company. After eight generations of string making, the first strings bearing the D’Addario brand name were introduced in 1974. Today, D’Addario is the world’s largest manufacturer of strings for guitars and other musical instruments.