- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Martin D-42 Standard Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar
- Write a Review
- K86810 000001000 K86810000001000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
One of the rarest examples of the Martin “pre-war” dreadnoughts is the D-42. The only one in existence is the custom model made in 1934 for Tex Fletc...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Classic model redefined with modern refinements to give today's player vintage tone in a guitar that feels familiar and comfortable.
One of the rarest examples of the Martin “pre-war” dreadnoughts is the D-42. The only one in existence is the custom model made in 1934 for Tex Fletcher. The guitar featured a style-42 pearl top inlay pattern, “Tex Fletcher” inlayed on the fingerboard, and the vintage forward-shifted scalloped X bracing pattern. Unlike the first D-45 made for Gene Autry, this guitar had incorporated Martin’s 14-fret neck found on their 1930 orchestra model OM-28.
Golden Era Tone
The sound engine of the “pre-war” vintage Martin D-42s was the forward-shifted, scalloped X bracing pattern. Found on Martin’s dreadnought guitars from 1931 to 1939, these dreadnought acoustic guitars are arguably the most prized, sought-after guitars in the world.
Martin dreadnoughts, such as the D-18, D-28, D-42 and D-45 had a forwarded-shifted, scalloped X-bracing pattern. This “Golden Era” bracing pattern gave the Martin dreadnought guitars a unique and identifiable tone. Highly valued for the clarity on the high end, and a punchy, defined bass, musicians and collectors soon realized that these instruments were unique and extremely collectible. No other acoustic guitar had the Martin tone, and as a result, everyone wanted one.
Vintage Tone Meets Modern Playability
Today, you can get that vintage tone of the 1930s combined with the playability of a modern guitar. Martin has returned to the vintage forward-shifted scalloped X-bracing pattern in this D-42 Standard Dreadnought acoustic guitar to give it what many consider the most treasured sound in acoustic guitars. And to accompany the improved sound, the playability has been dramatically improved.
This D-42 Standard's neck has been upgraded to feature a modern, modified low-oval neck, with a Performing Artist taper and 1-3/4” nut. The wider string spacing and comfortable neck profile allow a player to move up and down the neck with ease. The D-42 Standard Dreadnought has been “reimagined” to sound vintage and to play effortlessly.
Along with an amazing sound and feel, Martin's D-42 Standard Dreadnought features a solid premium Sitka spruce top, premium solid East Indian rosewood back and sides, pearl top inlay, style-45 Snowflake fingerboard inlays, ebony bridge and fingerboard, hand-fit dovetail neck joint, Nitrocellulose lacquer, antique white binding, aging toner option, and bone nut and saddle.
Includes a hardshell case.
- Style-45 pearl top inlays
- Antique white binding
- Aging toner (and two other finish options)
- Vintage forward-shifted 5/16"
- Scalloped X-bracing pattern
- Style-45 snowflake pearl fingerboard inlays
Rediscover the D-42. Order yours now.
- Body type: Dreadnought
- Cutaway: No
- Top wood: Sitka spruce
- Back and sides: East Indian rosewood
- Bracing pattern: 5/6" forward-shifted, scalloped X bracing
- Body finish: All-gloss nitrocellulose
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Modern low oval/Performance Artist taper C
- Nut width: 1.75 in. (44.45 mm)
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck wood: Solid Mahogany
- Scale length: 25.4 in.
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: No
- Brand: Not applicable
- Configuration: Not applicable
- Preamp EQ: Not applicable
- Feedback filter: Not applicable
- Tuner: Not applicable
- Headstock overlay: East Indian rosewood
- Tuning machines: Open geared
- Bridge: Ebony
- Saddle and nut: Bone
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features:
- Case: Hardshell case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: United States
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.