- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Martin D-45 Standard Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar
- Write a Review
- #K86802 000001000 K86802000001000
- Free Shipping With Backstage Pass (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Of all the Martin hand-crafted dreadnought guitars, the D-45 is undoubtedly the most famous. The first D-45 was custom made in 1933 for Gene Autry. I...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
An iconic model redefined with modern refinements.
Of all the Martin hand-crafted dreadnought guitars, the D-45 is undoubtedly the most famous. The first D-45 was custom made in 1933 for Gene Autry. It was a 12-fret model that included pearl inlay on the top, sides, and back; and Gene’s name in pearl script on the fingerboard. The D-45 was famous for its striking visual appearance and its superior tone. During the 1930s the D-45 was considered one of the most prized of all acoustic guitars. Unfortunately, the country was grinding its way through a very difficult depression, and money was tight for most families. When the D-45 was finally discontinued in October of 1942, only a total of 91 of these instruments had been produced.
Golden Era Tone
The sound engine of the “pre-war” vintage Martin D-45s was the forward-shifted, scalloped X bracing pattern. Found on Martin’s dreadnought guitars from 1931 to 1939, these dreadnought acoustic guitars are arguably the most prized, sought-after guitars in the world. Martin dreadnoughts, such as the D-18, D-28, and D-45 had a forwarded-shifted, scalloped X-bracing pattern. This “Golden Era” bracing pattern gave the Martin dreadnought guitars a unique and identifiable tone. Highly valued for the clarity on the high end, and a punchy, defined bass, musicians and collectors soon realized that these instruments were unique and extremely collectible. No other acoustic guitar had the Martin tone, and as a result everyone wanted one. Nowadays, the Martin “Pre-War” D-45 is considered to be the “Stradivarius” of the acoustic guitar.
Vintage Tone Meets Modern Playability
Today, you can get that vintage tone of the 1930s combined with the playability of a modern guitar. Martin has returned to the vintage forward-shifted scalloped X- bracing pattern with this D-45 Standard Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar, giving you the chance to enjoy one of the most treasured sounds in acoustic guitars without having to hunt high and low, and pay through the nose, for one of the original models. To accompany the improved sound, the playability has been dramatically improved.
The D-45 Standard Dreadnought's neck has been changed to feature a modern, modified low-oval neck, with a Performing Artist taper and 1-3/4” nut. The wider string spacing and comfortable neck profile allow you to move up and down the neck with ease. The D-45 Standard Dreadnought Acoustic has been “reimagined” to sound vintage and to play effortlessly.
Along with an amazing sound and feel, Martin's D-45 Standard features a solid premium Sitka spruce top, premium solid East Indian rosewood back and sides, 45-style pearl inlay, hexagon fingerboard inlays, ebony bridge and fingerboard, hand-fit dovetail neck joint, Nitrocellulose lacquer, antique white binding, aging toner and bone nut and saddle.
Includes a hardshell case.
- Wide string spacing
- 45-style pearl inlay
- Hexagon fingerboard inlays
- Hand-fit dovetail neck joint
- Antique white binding
- Aging toner
Get this hot take on an old classic with a quick click or call today.
- Body type: Dreadnought
- Cutaway: No
- Top wood: Solid Sitka spruce
- Back and sides: East Indian rosewood
- Bracing pattern: 5/6" forward-shifted, scalloped X bracing
- Body finish: All-Gloss Nitrocellulose
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Modern low oval/Performance Artist taper
- Nut width: 1.75 in. (44.45 mm)
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck wood: Solid mahogany
- Scale length: 25.4 in.
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: No
- Brand: Not applicable
- Configuration: Not applicable
- Preamp EQ: Not applicable
- Feedback filter: Not applicable
- Tuner: Not applicable
- Headstock overlay: East Indian Rosewood
- Tuning machines: Gold Open-gear tuning machines
- Bridge: Ebony
- Saddle and nut: Bone
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features:
- Case: Hardshell case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: United States
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.