- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Martin HD-28 Standard Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- #L40111 000003000 L40111000003000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The Martin HD-28 Standard Dreadnought acoustic guitar is the re-creation of Martin's legendary Herringbone D-28 guitar (released in 1946). It has a S...Click To Read More About This Product
Vintage Martin tone meets modern playability.
The Martin HD-28 Standard Dreadnought acoustic guitar is the re-creation of Martin's legendary Herringbone D-28 guitar (released in 1946). It has a Sitka spruce top, solid East Indian rosewood back and sides, and mahogany neck with ebony fingerboard. Vintage appointments include herringbone top trim, a traditional zigzag backstrip, and Martin's famous scalloped X-bracing that allows the top to vibrate more freely, yielding a louder, more open tone. Martin's HD-28 Standard Dreadnought acoustic guitar epitomizes the sound of an acoustic guitar. Famous for its legendary full-bodied tone and volume, the Martin HD-28 has been the industry standard since 1931.
Today, you can get that vintage tone of the 1930s combined with the playability of a modern guitar in the HD-28 Standard Dreadnought, with its vintage forward-shifted scalloped X-bracing pattern. For improved comfort, the neck has been changed to a modified low oval shape, with a Performing Artist taper and 1-3/4" nut. The wider string spacing and comfortable neck profile allow a player to move up and down the neck with ease. And unlike the more traditional acoustic guitars of the past, this HD-28 Standard Dreadnought acoustic guitar will have that vintage tone, with a feel that will be similar to that of an electric guitar.
The very first dreadnought guitars were designed and crafted by C. F. Martin & Co. in 1916, but marketed in Boston and New York exclusively under the Oliver Ditson brand. Originally made for Hawaiian slide playing style, the very first dreadnought made was a Model 222 shipped to Ditson in August of 1916. After Ditson went out of business in the early 1930s, Martin introduced the D-1 and D-2 dreadnoughts for standard playing style. The design evolved to Martin’s iconic D-18 and D-28 models, and later the HD-28. Over the past 100 years, the Martin dreadnought has helped define what an acoustic guitar can and should be, and subsequently, it has become one of the most popular acoustic guitar designs in the world.
Martin’s Golden Era of dreadnought guitars is prized for their rich tone, color, and expressiveness. One main reason is the bracing pattern you'll find on this HD-28 acoustic guitar. Manufactured from 1931 to 1939, Martin dreadnoughts, such as the D-18 and the D-28, had a forwarded-shifted, scalloped X-bracing pattern. This Golden Era bracing pattern gives the Martin HD-28 and similar dreadnought guitars a very unique and identifiable tone. Highly prized for the clarity on the high end, and punchy, defined bass, musicians and collectors soon realized that these instruments were unique and highly collectible. No other acoustic guitar had the Martin dreadnought tone, and as a result, everyone wanted one.
The Martin HD-28 Standard Dreadnought acoustic guitar comes with a beautiful hardshell, molded case and limited lifetime warranty.
- Antique white binding
- Vintage Golden Era bracing pattern
- Diamonds and Squares fingerboard inlay pattern
- Choose Amber Burst, Sunburst or Aged Toner top
Iconic, powerful, timeless. Order today.
- Body type: Dreadnought
- Cutaway: No
- Top wood: Sitka Spruce Top
- Back & sides: East Indian Rosewood
- Bracing pattern: 5/16 Forward-Shifted, Scalloped X Bracing
- Body finish: All Gloss Nitrocellulose
- Neck shape: Modified Low Oval, with Performing Artist Neck Taper
- Nut width: 1 3/4"
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck wood: Solid Mahogany
- Scale length: 25.4"
- Number of frets: 14 clear of the body, 20 total
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: No
- Headstock overlay: East Indian Rosewood Headplate
- Tuning machines: Nickel, Open-geared
- Bridge: Ebony w/ Drop in Bone Saddle
- Saddle & nut: Bone
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features:
- Case: Hardshell
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: US
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.