- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Martin Retro Series HD-28E Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- Product H86965
The Retro Series HD-28E Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar is a modern re-creation of the classic herringbone Dreadnought. Channeling legends like ...Click To Read More About This Product
We're sorry-this item is unavailable.
Contact our experts for a recommendation of great alternatives. Call us at 800-449-9128.Customers Also Viewed:
A classic herringbone dreadnought with modern electronics and a high performance neck.
The Retro Series HD-28E Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar is a modern re-creation of the classic herringbone Dreadnought. Channeling legends like Hank Williams, this guitar carries a distinct prestige that can only come from the Retro Series collection.
C. F. Martin & Co. is inviting musicians to take a trip back in time with the introduction of a groundbreaking guitar technology available in the new four-piece Retro Series: D-18E, D-45E, HD-28E and OM-28E. Paying homage stylistically and sonically to the iconic classic Martin guitars of the 1930s and '40s, this series features traditional non-cutaway Martin guitars incorporating significant advancements in plugged-in sound reproduction. The series exquisitely captures a sought-after sound, melding traditional models with state-of-the-art technology, and will appeal to musicians and guitar aficionados alike.
Martin designers dove back into the rich history residing in the Martin museum and chose world-class examples to use as "tone donors." These guitars include a 1942 D-45, a 1941 D-28, a 1937 D-18 and a 1934 000-28 (long-scale) on loan from Vintage Instruments. Each of these guitars possesses unique tonal characteristics that can be attributed to the passing of time. The premise was to convince the new guitars into electronically behaving as if they were the museum guitars.
Developing the new Retro Series electronic foundation, Fishman electronically infused the essence of the museum instruments into the newly created Martin counterparts, a new technology for both companies. To build upon this "vintage-conditioned" sound, Martin Guitar teamed up with Fishman and Grammy Award-winning producer Bill VornDick at his historic Mountainside Studios in Nashville for a multi-step process. They utilized VornDick's private collection of rare vintage and boutique microphones, many of which date back to the '30s and are iconic recording industry microphones. This collection adds unique coloring to the plugged-in sound, reminiscent of the first microphones these museum guitars would have ever encountered in the professional recording studio.
The Retro series instruments are vintage in appearance but will have enhanced playability including a modern "High Performance Neck" taper and modified low oval profile. They will all have the Fishman Aura VT Enhance electronics system.
Great for studio or live, this series reproduces the pristine sound that until now could only be accomplished in a highly-controlled studio setting with talented engineers.
VornDick said it best after hearing the finished product, "The plugged-in sound of these instruments is by far, the best reproduced acoustic sound I've ever heard."
- Dreadnought body size
- Solid Sitka spruce top
- Standard ''X'' scalloped, forward shifted bracing
- High performance neck
- Fishman Aura VT Enhance electronics system
- Includes 445 Hardshell case
Experience the vibe and exceptional electric sound of this special guitar. Order today.
- Model: HD-28E Retro
- Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Rosette: Style 28
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard ''X'' Scalloped, Forward Shifted
- Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce 5/16''
- Back Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Back Purfling: HD Zig-Zag
- Side Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Endpiece: none
- Endpiece Inlay: none
- Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Top Inlay Style: Bold Herringbone
- Side Inlay: none
- Back Inlay: none
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval Profile with Performing Artist Taper
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Heelcap: Grained Ivoroid
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4''
- Number of Frets Clear: 14
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-3/4''
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/8''
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Diamonds & Squares - Long Pattern
- Fingerboard Binding: none
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss w/ Aging Toner
- Finish Neck: Satin
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: 1930s Style Belly with Drop-In Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-3/16''
- Saddle: 16'' Radius/Compensated/White Tusq
- Tuning Machines: Nickel Open-Geared w/ Butterbean knobs
- Recommended Strings: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge (MSP7200)
- Bridge & End Pins: White with Tortoise Colored Dots
- Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color
- Case: 445 Hardshell
- Interior Label: none
- Electronics: Fishman Aura VT Enhance