- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Taylor 400 Series 456ce Grand Symphony 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- J51479 000001000 J51479000001000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Indian rosewood is one of the most popular and expressive tone woods in the world. Among Taylor’s solid-wood guitars, rosewood is normally reserved f...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
Affordable 12-string with elegant electronics.
Indian rosewood is one of the most popular and expressive tone woods in the world. Among Taylor’s solid-wood guitars, rosewood is normally reserved for the 700, 800 and 900 Series, but the 400 Rosewoods bring rosewood into a more accessible price range. Taylor's Grand Symphony shape and rosewood's balanced, broad sonic range and complexity - and of course Taylor's renown playability - result in a guitar that will be a joy to play in a variety of scenarios for a lifetime. All 400 Series instruments ship in a deluxe hard shell case made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
Compared to the Taylor Grand Auditorium, the Grand Symphony has a bigger, rounder lower bout and slightly wider waist area, and the bigger sound board (top) means more tonal output. Expect a meaty lower midrange and strong treble shimmer.
A guitar's top is the primary filter and distributor of vibrating string energy through the guitar, which means it has a huge impact on its sound. Sitka Spruce is the most prevalent guitar top wood of the modern era. It blends stiffness and elasticity in just the right proportions, which translates into broad dynamic range with crisp articulation. Solid Indian rosewood back and sides complement the Sitka top with sound that's made it one of the most popular tone woods ever. Rosewood produces the strongest bass response among the tone woods commonly used for guitars, with a slightly scooped midrange.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acousticly or plugged-in. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, and active bass and treble controls.
- Body type: Grand Symphony
- Cutaway: Single cutaway
- Top wood: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Back & sides: Ovangkol
- Bracing pattern: 12-string with relief rout
- Body finish: Gloss
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Standard Taylor Profile
- Nut width: 1.875 in. (47.62 mm)
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck wood: Tropical Mahogany
- Scale length: 25.5 in.
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: Yes
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-saddle piezo
- Preamp EQ: 2-band
- Feedback filter: No
- Tuner: No
- Headstock overlay: Genuine African Ebony
- Tuning machines: Nickel
- Bridge: Genuine African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta/Tusq
- Number of strings: 12-string
- Case: Deluxe Hardshell Case
- Country of origin: United States
Magnificent instrument with stellar electronics system. If you need an amplified 12-string, this should be a candidate.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.