Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Taylor Academy 10 Left-Handed Acoustic Guitar Naturaltrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Created especially for new players to make the learning process sound great and feel great.
Most newcomers to the instrument — and parents buying for their kids — are understandably reluctant to pony up for a more expensive, "nice" brand of guitar without knowing whether the interest will last. So the approach tends to be: start with an inexpensive, “good-enough” guitar, and if things progress, upgrade to something better. But all too often this ends in hand-wringing frustration, where would-be music-makers walk away from the instrument blaming themselves for not having enough musical talent or physical dexterity, when in fact the real culprit all along was the guitar.
The Playing Experience
Academy Series guitars, like this Academy 10 left-handed dreadnought acoustic, was designed to offer enough immediate gratification to encourage a new player to keep playing. To do so, the playing experience was Taylor’s priority:
• Easy to hold and play: the body is comfortable and lightweight. The guitar is easy to strum and fret.
• Rewarding sound: this guitar yields a good sound easily in the hands of a newer player.
• Not too precious. Durable. Minimal. A guitar that’s too precious can be intimidating for a novice to play and care for.
• Broad appeal: it covers a broad range of music preferences.
Function and Form
The Academy Series begins with the classic dreadnought body shape, in part because it’s a widely-recognized guitar shape that makes a good strumming and flatpicking guitar. Taylor borrowed the slightly smaller footprint of its famous Big Baby Taylor for comfort, but opted for a body depth that’s three-quarters of an inch deeper to give the guitar a fuller voice with more low-end response. The wood pairing is a solid spruce top with layered sapele back and sides. Genuine African ebony – not man-made substitutes – is used for the fingerboard and bridge, just as with all other Taylor models.
The neck is a fully engineered version of Taylor’s patented design, allowing for precise calibration of the neck angle and smooth serviceability throughout the guitar’s life. To enhance the handfeel and overall playability for entry-level players, Taylor chose a 24-7/8" scale length with a 1-11/16" nut width. The guitar’s top bracing and other internal architecture were optimized for volume and projection. It has full-size guitar dimensions. It has the right depth and width for the right internal architecture, with a seriously straight and true neck on it. These things were meant to go together as a whole without compromising musical function.
Although an armrest is normally reserved as an ultra-premium feature of Taylor’s top-end models, Taylor’s Andy Powers developed a greatly simplified version, produced with function in mind. “It’s important to give a beginning player the most comfortable, gratifying experience to make a welcoming first impression,” he says. “If the guitar is comfortable, plays well, and has a pleasing sound, then a player will have an easier time staying with the instrument.”
The Taylor Difference
The Academy Series also introduces players to the best of what Taylor Guitars brings to the guitar market. Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
Give your aspiring guitarist a better start with a Taylor Academy guitar. Order today.
Academy 10 Left-Handed Acoustic Guitar Specifications:Body
- Body type: Taylor Dreadnought 15/16th-Scale
- Cutaway: No
- Top wood: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Back & sides: Layered Sapele
- Bracing pattern: Academy Series Bracing
- Body finish: Satin Varnish
- Orientation: Left-Handed
- Neck shape: Standard Taylor Profile
- Nut width: 1-11/16" (42.8mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine African Ebony
- Neck wood: Hard Rock Maple
- Scale length: 24-7/8"
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin Varnish
- Pickup/preamp: No
- Headstock overlay: Copafera
- Tuning machines: Chrome Tuners with Chrome Buttons
- Bridge: Genuine African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta "Wave" Saddle; NuBone Nut
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features: Elixir Phosphor-Bronze Medium Gauge Strings
- Case: Deluxe Taylor Gig Bag
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: Mexico
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.