- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Taylor Custom No. 12 Grand Auditorium Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- L75002 000001000 L75002000001000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Designed with eye-catching Tasmanian blackwood, this custom Grand Auditorium is a piece of art. Crafted of gorgeous Tasmanian blackwood for its chara...Click To Read More About This Product
Tasmanian blackwood produces beautiful tone on this custom GA.
Designed with eye-catching Tasmanian blackwood, this custom Grand Auditorium is a piece of art. Crafted of gorgeous Tasmanian blackwood for its character and tone, it will be a welcomed addition to any serious guitar collection. You will love how well-behaved the balance is across the entire musical spectrum. Its sound is colorful and unique in texture and voicing, blending frequencies that are not found in more traditional tone woods. For added beauty, the guitar is adorned with figured koa binding, custom single-ring rosette, Nouveau Boxwood inlay pattern, Slotted peghead, nickel tuners, shaded tobacco edge burst, and Ameritage case. Standard specs include a 25-1/2” scale length, a 1-3/4” nut width, a Venetian cutaway and ES2 electronics.
The Custom No. 12 Grand Auditorium comes with a Taylor hardshell case.
Tasmanian blackwood is an acacia wood species that is sometimes compared to Hawaiian koa. Its tonal range is similar to both koa and mahogany, featuring a strong midrange focus that is dry, clear and warm, with a splash of top-end shimmer and richness comparable to Indian rosewood. The overall volume and projection are strong.
A Taylor original, the Grand Auditorium helped establish the Taylor acoustic sound. The popular body style makes for a versatile guitar that yields ample volume in response to light fingerpicking, and reacts to medium strumming and flatpicking with a clear, balanced sound across the tonal spectrum. For players seeking a great all-purpose guitar, the GA is an excellent choice.
Taylor's V-Class bracing marks an important evolution beyond traditional X-bracing, introducing an entirely new platform for acoustic performance. It is essentially a "sonic engine" that optimizes the response of an acoustic guitar in three key ways: by boosting volume, sustain, and by largely resolving the intonation issues that have long plagued acoustic guitars. V-Class bracing creates purer, more orderly notes that don't cancel each other out or sound "off". They have clearer, more consistent response, and the whole fretboard is brought into greater sonic alignment for a more musical playing/listening experience.
Guitars with V-Class bracing are easier to tune; the pitch sounds purer and more solid, and electronic tuners can easily locate notes for quick, precise tuning. Other benefits: harmonics ring more uniformly down the neck, notes are louder with more projection and sustain, and notes are more consistent, i.e., upper register notes don't get choked out or swallowed. Fewer "sour" sonic qualities exist with chords; a more agreeable relationship is created between notes as they ripen, bloom and decay.
The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acoustically or plugged-in. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in.
Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, and active bass and treble controls.
- Figured Hawaiian koa binding with chamfered edges
- Custom single-ring rosette
- Nouveau inlay pattern made from boxwood
- Slotted peghead
- Nickel tuners
- West African Ebony buttons and headplate
- Shaded Tobacco Edge Burst
This beautiful custom acoustic-electric can be yours. Order today.
- Body type: Taylor Grand Auditorium
- Cutaway: Yes - Venetian
- Top wood: Figured Tasmanian Blackwood
- Back & sides: Figured Tasmanian Blackwood
- Bracing pattern: V-Class Bracing with Relief Rout
- Body finish: Gloss Top, Back and Sides
- Orientation: Right-Handed
- Neck shape: Standard Taylor Profile
- Nut width: 1-3/4" (44.5 mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine West African Ebony
- Neck wood: Neo-Tropical Mahogany
- Scale length: 25-1/2"
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: Expression System 2 Professional Audio-Grade
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-Saddle Transducer with Adjustable Sensors
- Preamp EQ: Volume, Active Bass and Treble
- Feedback filter: Onboard Phase Switch
- Tuner: None
- Headstock overlay: Genuine West African Ebony
- Tuning machines: Taylor Polished Bronze with Polished Bronze Buttons
- Bridge: Genuine West African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta Saddle; Black Tusq Nut
- Number of strings: 6
- Case: Taylor hardshell case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: USA
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.