Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT 6 AM - 6 PM PT
SUN 6 AM - 5 PM PT
Modal Electronics Limited Cobalt8M 8-Voice Extended Virtual Analog Synthesizer Moduletrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
8-voice desktop or rackmount extended virtual analog synthesizer.
On top of the innovative oscillator engine of COBALT8M, a new morphable 4-Pole Ladder Filter was added. Combined with Modal’s unparalleled modulation options, an inspiring real-time/step sequencer, the energizing arpeggiator, MPE, studio-quality effects and MODALapp integration, COBALT8M is the perfect synth for everyone who wants a versatile electronic music instrument to play vintage synth sounds and is eager to enter new sound dimensions.
Eight true polyphonic voices, housed in a sleek desktop and rack-mountable enclosure, tempt players to lay out wide string or rich synthpad chords, while a monophonic bass or lead patch, played with 64 oscillators can shake the walls of every stadium. And with the avant-garde sound forming features, every synth enthusiast can refine his performance with sounds that no other synthesizer is able to generate.
Two independent oscillator groups with up to 4 oscillators each generate not only powerful virtual-analog goodness, but like no other synthesizers before, 34 unique complex algorithms like Sync, Ring Modulation, Waveform Morphing, and many more are available to increase the creative options for new-generation synth sounds. Each Algorithm has a simple-to-use pair of controls selected to suit the particular algorithm or character, providing musicians the power of traditionally complex oscillator modulations or processes spontaneously.
COBALT8M’s newly designed, self-oscillating 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter with Resonance injects more warmth and bite. Switch between the four different filter modes, get creative with the Notch filter and form unusual synth textures with the Phasor. Two different characteristics allow to instil a more subtle behavior or process the sound with sheer raw power.
Three flexible audio-rate (2 x polyphonic) LFOs can be routed to a massive amount of destinations using the modulation matrix and sync to internal or external tempo. Three dedicated envelopes for the filter, amp and modulation allow excessive control over dynamics and expression. Switchable envelope types provide greater options to tailor the envelopes for specific sound purposes. COBALT8M's sophisticated 12-slot modulation matrix supports easy assignments of complex modulation routes to keep the sound evolving. Four common modulation routings are pre-set here to free up space for more exciting ideas.
The integrated 512-note Realtime/Step Sequencer with four powerful Animation Lanes invites to compose massive and complex melodic patterns. The polyphonic 64-note step sequencer mode enables easy step input for note and animation values. Multiple sequencer trigger modes coupled with the powerful on board arpeggiator (programmable up to 32 steps) and performance features such as Chord Hold, Inversions, Transpose, Sustain Latch.
COBALT8M’s rugged steel and aluminum enclosure underlines the synth’s professional approach. The desktop design fits on every producer's table, and included brackets help to mount COBALT8M into a live or studio rack. For direct access of the parameters, COBALT8M features 13 switched encoders, 13 encoders, 9 buttons and an X/Y joystick for pitch or modulation. MPE support offers new ways of creative expression for sophisticated performers.
Reshape your sounds completely with the onboard stereo effects engine. COBALT8M comes with a 3-slot FX engine with in-depth FX programming. To polish the sound, a total of 11 FX algorithms add character and depth, including Chorus, Phaser, Flanger (Pos), Flanger (Neg), Tremolo, LoFi, Rotary, Stereo Delay, Ping-Pong Delay, X-Over Delay and Reverb.
Set to be played in any synth environment, COBALT8M comes with all physical connections required. Control the synth using USB, monitor with headphones or using the dedicated line outputs, sync with external gear using the full-size MIDI in and out or the 3.5 mm Sync in or outputs and take control of your sound using the built-in Sustain and Expression inputs. By poly-chaining any two COBALT8M devices, the amount of voices is easily doubled to16 voices and128 oscillators.
There is plenty of room to store patch, effects and sequence creations. Out of the box, 300 of the total 500 patches are filled with factory patch banks, carefully programmed by some of the most accomplished sound designers of the world.
Unlock the full potential of your Modal Electronics instrument with MODALapp, a multi-platform application that’s the central command of your Modal synthesiser ecosystem. Available as a free download from the Modal Electronics website and all mainstream app stores, MODALapp conquers the dividing line between hardware control and screen-based patch editing, preset management and must-have product-specific resources. Unique, full-featured and above all, inspiring—joining the creative revolution and discovering hardware synth editing at its finest has never been easier.
- True 8 voice polyphonic oscillators
- 64 high-resolution virtual-analog oscillators, up to 8 per voice
- Two independent and self-contained oscillator groups with sine, pulse, triangle, sawtooth waveforms, 34 different algorithms including: complex analog synthesis techniques, built-in cross modulation (SYNC, RM and many more), PWM, smooth morphing between VA waves, bit crushing, filtered noise.
- Extended Oscillator Drift
- Four-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter with Resonance and four switchable configurations
- Resonance and Balanced Filter Modes
- Three dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER that can be accessed independently or all three simultaneously including negative (reverse) versions for MOD and FILTER ENVs
- Three audio-rate LFO’s with tempo sync (two poly, one global)with seven different shapes
- Eight assignable modulation slots and four additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments with 12 modulation sources and 55 modulation destinations
- Real-time sequencer with 512 notes with polyphonic mode and four recordable/editable parameter animations (Delay FX, LFOs, sequencer and arpeggiator can be either clocked internally or externally)
- Built-In sophisticated programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability with up to 2,048 steps before repeating
- Three incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo FX engines for Chorus, Phaser, Flanger (Pos), Flanger (Neg), Tremolo, LoFi, Rotary, Stereo Delay, Ping-Pong Delay, X-Over Delay and Reverb that can be arranged in any order
Unlock the full creative potential of polyphonic sounds. Order today.
Cobalt8M 8-Voice Extended Virtual Analog Synthesizer Module Specifications:User Memory
- Patches: 500, all fully editable and ships with 300 factory programs
- Sequencer: 100 sequences that can be linked to any patch for quickly loading arrangements
- FX: 100 presets
- Eight Quick Recall slots accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favorite patches
- 13 switched encoders, 13 encoders, and 9 buttons
- Four-axis joystick that can be assigned to a huge range of modulation destinations and virtually ‘locked’ when desired
- Multiple keyboard modes (Mono, Poly, Unison 2, Unison 4, Unison 8, Stack 2 and Stack 4)
- Glide/Portamento with both legato and staccato modes
- Desktop-style steel and aluminum enclosure
- Mounting brackets for 19” racks included
- 1.54" large OLED display for instant visual feedback at all times of playing/editing
- 2 x unbalanced 6.3 mm (1/4”) TS outputs (L/R)
- Stereo 6.3 mm (1/4”) stereo headphone output
- Stereo 3.5 mm (1/8”) input with ability to route incoming audio through the FX
- 6.3 mm (1/4”) sustain pedal jack
- 6.3 mm (1/4”) expression pedal jack
- 3.5 mm (1/8”) Analog clock sync in and out (configured to the KORG/Teenage Engineering specification)
- MIDI DIN in and out Class-compliant MIDI over USB connection to host computer or tablet
- Power: DC-9.0V -1.5A center-positive
- Free MODALapp software editor for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- MODAL plug into access COBALT8M within your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), with VST3 and AU versions available
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 47 x 42 x 27 cm (18.5" x 16.5" x 10.6")
- Weight: 2.1 kg (4.63 lb.)
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.