- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Novation Bass Station II
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- H96667 000000000 H96667000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Bass Station II is an analog mono-synth with a talent for bass, but a sound-engine that is versatile enough to kick out sharp leads and crisp arpeggi...Click To Read More About This Product
The classic Novation Bass Station, reworked for the 21st Century.
Tracks provided by SoundCloud
Bass Station II is an analog mono-synth with a talent for bass, but a sound-engine that is versatile enough to kick out sharp leads and crisp arpeggios. It brings the best elements of the original Bass Station into a brand new design with re-worked modulation, effects, filters and more; like the Bass Station, but much much bigger.
The signal path is pure analog - including the effects section. The hardware has been laid out in modules with dedicated pots, switches, sliders and buttons for all major parameters. Critically, you can store and recall patches on Bass Station II. It comes with 64 killer factory presets, space for 64 of your own sounds on the hardware, and you can store more on your computer.
The key-mechanism consists of 25 full sized keys that are velocity sensitive with assignable aftertouch. It has been developed as a ˜synth-action' keyboard, where each key is individually sprung so it is light to the touch and highly responsive to the synth engine. Bass Station II is a fully class compliant MIDI device with MIDI I/O on 5 pin din ports - for connecting to other MIDI outboard - and can interface with your computer over USB.
The Synth Engine: A Brief Overview
Oscillators: Bass Station II is built on three analog oscillators and a noise generator. There are two fully independent oscillators plus a sub oscillator (which is the critical component in creating rich, analog bass sounds). Oscillators One and Two are switchable between sine, sawtooth, square and variable pulse width, and Oscillator Three - the sub osc - can be set to one or two octaves below Oscillator One. It can be square, sine or narrow pulse width, delivering the characteristically ˜fat' bass tone.
Filters: You can select between two discrete filters - ˜Acid' or ˜Classic' - each with a built-in overdrive for pushing filter tones from dry, to warm, to nasty! The ˜Classic' Bass Station filter can be switched between low pass, high pass and band pass at 12 or 24dB slopes. The ˜Acid' filter is based on a diode ladder filter design that delivers a characteristically 303-style sound that is designed to squelch!
Effects: Bass Station II has two effects (not including the filter overdrive). Analog distortion drives circuit components to add new frequencies to the sound. Bass Station II's Distortion function can add gentle warmth, filthy granularity and anything in between. The second effect is ˜Osc Filter Mod' which creates a distinctive FM-type sound by using Oscillator Two to modulate the filter frequency. This is very good at crunchy, sound-mulching effects that substantially fatten up bass and lead patches.
Modulation: There are two envelope generators and two low frequency oscillators (LFOs). The first envelope is an ADSR amp envelope and the second is a mod envelope that can be used to modulate filter frequency, oscillator pitch and OSC pulse width. LFO One is dedicated to pitch modulation whereas LFO Two is used to modulate OSC pulse width and filter frequency. Although it looks like there are four LFO waveforms, the ˜LFO Slew' function can be used freely to sculpt LFOs into smoother wave-shapes.
Arpeggiator and step sequencer: Bass Station II's Arpeggiator and Step Sequencer are killer performance and production tools. The Arp can be directed to run through 32 different rhythmic patterns in different directions with a switchable octave range. The fun really starts when you engage the Step Sequencer. Up to four sequences can be played in - with legato and rests - and assigned to any one of the 32 rhythmic patterns. As well as getting ideas down quickly and programming performance sequences, this is a brilliant way to preview patches while you are editing them.
Bass Station II v2.5
The v2.5 firmware update adds some of the most requested features including filter tracking, paraphonic mode, microtuning and new preset Soundpacks. Installation couldn't be easier from the Novation Components content manager.
Bass Station II is now a paraphonic monosynth because you can control the pitches of each of the two oscillators separately in its single-voice architecture. Play two notes at a time rather than just one and get interesting interactions through the Ring and Filter Mod.
Filter tracking was one of your most requested features. The filter includes variable keyboard tracking in Bass Station II v2.5 – the best for matching higher notes to increased brightness.
Bass Station II's secret sound-design weapon is envelope retriggering. It’s now possible to configure your envelopes to retrigger once the decay stage has ended, opening up a whole range of new possibilities.
Oscillator error introduces a small and adjustable random detune on each note-on event. This can be used to generate some very beautiful, subtle (or not) musical dissonance, very much in the same way that vintage synths do (because of the looser tolerance of their electronic components). Paraphonic mode makes it as dramatic as possible.
Completely control the frequency triggered by each key press, giving your scales another dimension.
Two new Soundpacks are in Components: Silver and Sinevibes. Silver's presets explore the v2.5 features and inspire new tracks and sound design. Sinevibes, designed by Sinevibes’ founder Artemij Pavlov, gives 101 classic Bass Station II presets.
Warm greetings to you all
Bass Station II can now support a custom message display at start-up.
- Analog synth: brand new version of the classic Bass Station
- Two distinct analog filters: brand new "Acid" filter joins the "Classic" original Bass Station filter
- Bass Station II ships with 64 factory patches and a further 64 user slots
- Patch dump enables you to archive and swap sounds
- Pattern-based Step Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Analog synth layout includes dedicated controls for all major parameters
- Two Oscillators plus an additional Sub Oscillator
- Analog effects section: Bass Station II includes fully analog distortion and filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive to add an aggressive, crunchy sound-quality
- Flexible modulation featuring 2 Envelopes and 2 LFOs
- MIDI I/O and USB connectivity
- Players 'synth-action' keyboard with aftertouch
Order the next generation of this legendary synth today!
- Osc 1
- Osc 2
- Sub Osc (3)
- Noise generator
- Osc 1 & 2
- Select between waveforms:
- square/variable pulse width
- Sync 1 & 2
- Octave range
- Pitch bend
- Pitch modulation to Mod Envelope and LFO 1
- Pulse width modulation to Mod Envelope and LFO 2
- Sub Osc (3) which is tracked to Osc 1
- Select independently between waveforms:
- Narrow pulse
- All modulation and tuning tracked to Osc 1
- Independent octave select
- Osc 1 level
- Osc 2 level
- Sub Osc level
- Noise generator level
- Ring modulation depth
- External signal level
- Two filter types
- Acid type (diode ladder filter design)
- Classic type (derived from original Bass Station)
- Filter frequency to Mod Envelope depth
- Filter frequency to LFO 2 depth
- Select 'Classic' filter between:
- Low pass
- Band pass
- High pass
- 12dB slope
- 24dB slope
- Two ADSR Envelopes (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release)
- Amp Envelope
- Mod Envelope
- Combined control of both Envelopes
- Select triggering mode between:
- Single trigger (holds envelope state when new note is played)
- Multi trigger (re-triggers with every new note played)
- Autoglide (engages portamento)
- There is also a VCA limiter
- Two LFOs each selectable between:
- Sample and hold
- Both LFOs independently adjustable between rate and delay time
- Key sync LFO 1 & 2
- LFO slew on LFO 1& 2 (low pass filter on the LFO waveform)
- Distortion send
- Oscillator filter mod amount (FM effect created by Oscillator 2 modulating filter freq)
- Up to 32 different patterns
- Select between 1-4 octave range
- Swing function
- Select direction:
- up / down 1
- up / down 2
- As played
- Latch (hold the arpeggiator)
- Up to four sequences
- Assign one of 32 preset rhythms or create your own
- insert rests or legato (slide)
- Sequencer re-trigger function
- Adjust glide time
- Single trigger or re-trigger modes
- Integrate into step sequencer and arpeggiator
- 25 note synth-action keyboard
- Aftertouch can be assigned to modulate:
- ? Filter frequency
- ? LFO 1to Osc pitch
- ? Osc 2 speed
- Pitch wheel
- Modulation wheel can be assigned to:
- ? LFO 2 to filter frequency
- ? LFO 1 to Osc pitch
- ? Osc 2 pitch
- Octave up/ down buttons
- 64 factory presets
- 64 slots for user patches (and patch dump facility for storing more)
- Master volume dial
- USB MIDI (for connecting & powering Bass Station II via host computer)
- Mono output on 1/4" TRS jack
- Headphone output on 1/4" TRS jack
- External input on 1/4" TRS jack
- Sustain pedal input on 1/4" TS jack
- MIDI IN / MIDI OUT ports on 5 pin din
- DC power input
- Switch between power off / DC powered / bus powered
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.