Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Roland's most popular portable sampler just got turbocharged.
The acclaimed Roland SP-404 performance sampler takes an exciting leap forward with the SP-404SX. In addition to the fun, fast, hands-on features of the original, this updated Roland sampler offers enhanced sound quality with pure 16-bit linear sampling, improved DSP (digital signal processor) effects, smooth effects switching, a more versatile pattern sequencer (with a shuffle feature), and easier data management with SD-card compatibility.
Sample anywhere, anytime using the Roland SP-404SX sampler's built-in microphone. And since the SP-404SX portable sampler runs on AC or battery power (6 AA batteries), it's easy to record wherever and whenever inspiration strikes. Just power-up, point, and record.
Line and mic inputs are also available for recording direct or with an external microphone. The Roland SP-404SX's sampling format is uncompressed WAV for high-quality audio capture.
The Roland SP-404SX sampler is made to be played. It's packed with interactive controls for jamming along with loops and patterns. Put your fingers on the 3 non-slip control knobs, 12 trigger pads, and Sub Pad for rapid repeat triggering in real time. On dark stages or DJ booths, the Roland SP-404SX is a performers dream with illuminated rubber pads and a bright LED screen.
Create a signature sound using the SP-404SX's 29 DSP effects, which switch seamlessly during live performance. Essential onboard effects include spacious reverbs and choruses, plus filters and delays. There are also unique, esoteric effects built in, including a voice transformer and looper. With the DJFX Looper, you can create short loops (such as machine-gun-like "da-da-da-da-da" sounds) and control reverse playback with the knob. You can also create scratch effects like on a turntable. Connect the SP-404SX to a DJ mixer and use it as an effect processor. Seventeen of the effects have a "limiter" mode, which keeps the effects from overloading. This is great for live DJ performances when you don't want to lose control of the effects in the heat of the moment.
In addition to the endless supply of loops you can pack into the Roland SP-404SX sampler, you can also create your own tracks in real time with the Pattern Sequencer, complete with quantize mode, which includes shuffle feels. Creating patterns is done in real time. You can loop two measures (maximum 99 measures), for example, then play and record only the bass drum and the snare. Next, add the hi-hat over the top, and keep adding more instruments while the SP-404SX loops. The sampler can store 120 patterns (12 patterns x 10 banks).
When you play a pattern with the Pattern Sequencer, the LEDs surrounding the display blink according to the tempo, which is a handy feature during live performance.
SD card memory
Start sampling right away with the included 1GB SD card. You can easily expand the sampling time using up to 32GB SDHC. Import audio files from your computer using the included software (Mac or PC) and assign them to the SP-404SX's pads. WAV and AIFF files are accepted. The software is fast and easy to use, as it displays the Roland SP-404SX's pads onscreen. You can even use it to convert SP-404 format files to the SP-404SX.
- Sample anytime, anywhere with a built-in mic and battery power
- 29 DSP effects, including: filter, delay, unique voice effects, subsonic, and looper
- 3 control knobs, 12 trigger pads, and Sub Pad for rapid repeat triggering
- Seamless effects switching for smooth, perfect performance
- Pattern sequencer with quantize mode and shuffle feels
- 1GB SD card included; expand audio sample storage up to 32GB with SDHC
- Import audio files from computer, assign samples to pads with bundled software (Mac or PC)
SP-404SX Portable Sampler with Effects Specifications:
- Maximum polyphony: 12 voices
- Recordable data: samples: 120 (12 samples x 10 banks) (stored on SD card); patterns: 120 (12 patterns x 10 banks)(stored on SD card)
- Sampling time (total time for all samples): The maximum sampling time (size) for a single sample is approximately 180 minutes in stereo (2 GB). The following shows the approximate total sampling time of the samples that can be stored on one SD card. Card capacity / Stereo (Mono) 1GB / Approx. 90 min. (180 min.), 2GB / Approx. 180 min. (360 min.), 4GB / Approx. 360 min. (720 min.), 8GB / Approx. 720 min. (24 hours), 16GB / Approx. 24 hours (48 hours), 32GB / Approx. 48 hours (96 hours), Since the 1 GB SD card included with the SP-404SX contains preload data, the available sampling time will be less than the time above.
- Data format: 16-bit linear (.wav/aif)
- Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz
- Pattern sequencer: maximum recordable notes: approx. 16,000 notes, resolution: 96 ticks per quarter note, pattern length: 1-99 measures, recording method: realtime loop recording (with shuffle quantize function)
- Effects: 29 types
- Pads: 12 + Sub Pad x 1
- Controllers: control knob x 3
- Display: 7 segments, 3 characters (LED)
- Onboard mic: Mono x 1
- Connectors: Line input jacks (L, R)(RCA phono type), Line output jacks (L, R)(RCA phono type), headphones (PHONES) jack (Stereo 1/4" phone type), mic jack (1/4" phone type), MIDI in connector, DC in jack, SD card slot
- Power supply: DC 9 V (Ni-MH AA size rechargeable battery x 6, alkaline AA size dry battery x 6 or AC Adaptor) (batteries sold separately)
- Battery life for continuous use: Ni-MH rechargeable batteries: approximately 5 hours, alkaline dry batteries: approximately 4 hours (figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use)
- Current draw: 450 mA
- Accessories: SD card (1GB), SP-404SX utility CD-ROM, AC adaptor PSB-1U, owner's manual
- Dimensions: 2-7/8" H x 7" W x 10-1/8" D
- Weight: 2 lb., 11 oz.
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.