- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Audio-Technica AT5040 Cardioid Condenser Vocal Microphone
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- H92820 000000000 H92820000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Designed as a first-choice vocal microphone, the AT5040 features an extremely smooth top end with controlled sibilance. Large-diaphragm characteristi...Click To Read More About This Product
Design innovation and exceptional detail.
Designed as a first-choice vocal microphone, the AT5040 features an extremely smooth top end with controlled sibilance. Large-diaphragm characteristics and fast transient response also make it ideal for recording acoustic instruments such as piano, guitar, strings and saxophone. A new series from Audio-Technica, one of the leaders in microphone technology, it offers several innovative design aspects that promise to land it among the pantheon of truly great studio vocal microphones.
The debut of AT's flagship 50 Series, the AT5040 represents a milestone in condenser design, offering remarkably musical high-fidelity performance, with profound realism and depth, presence and purity of sound.
Four-part rectangular element
The first of the design criteria for the AT5040 was purity of sound. To achieve this, Audio-Technica engineers developed a four-part rectangular element, the pinnacle of AT's recent breakthroughs in sound-capture technology. Four exquisitely matched ultra-thin diaphragms function together (with outputs proprietarily summed) as Audio-Technica's largest-ever element, providing combined surface area twice that of a standard one-inch circular diaphragm.
By using four diaphragms in a single capsule, the AT5040 delivers the benefits of an exceptionally large diaphragm, along with an extremely low noise floor, without increased weight, decreased transient response or other drawbacks that typically restrict diaphragm size. Another key AT5040 design feature is advanced internal shock mounting that effectively decouples the capsule from the microphone body. For additional isolation, each AT5040 is also provided with Audio-Technica's innovative new AT8480 shock mount.
100% quality control
Every AT5040 is hand assembled and individually inspected for 100% quality control. Each microphone is enclosed in an elegant housing of aluminum and brass with high-quality gray finish for durability and low reflectivity. Discrete components have been selected for optimized capsule performance; in fact, every aspect of the microphone has been carefully considered to minimize any effects on the audio signal. This new 50 Series cardioid condenser is pure innovation, not emulation.
- Audio-Technica's premier studio condenser vocal microphone
- Extremely musical high-fidelity performance, with profound realism and depth, presence and purity of sound
- Four rectangular diaphragms (2 micron) function together as Audio-Technica's largest-ever element, providing combined surface area twice that of a standard one-inch circular diaphragm
- Exceptionally low noise and wide dynamic range ideal for studio vocals
- Discrete components carefully selected for optimized capsule performance
- High-SPL capability and extended frequency response
- Hand assembled and inspected for 100% quality contro
- Advanced internal shock mounting decouples the capsule from the microphone body
- Elegant, durable housing of aluminum and brass
- Included advanced-design custom AT8480 shock mount provides superior isolation
- Custom hard-shell carrying case with die-cut foam compartments offers protection during storage and transport
Order now for the AT's flagship studio vocal mic.
- Element: Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
- Polar pattern: cardioid
- Frequency response: 20 - 20,000 hz
- Open circuit sensitivity: -25 db (56.2 mv) re 1v at 1 pa
- Impedance: 50 ohms
- Maximum input sound level: 142 db spl, 1 khz at 1% t.h.d.
- Noise: 5 db spl
- Dynamic range (typical): 137 db, 1 khz at max spl
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 89 db, 1 khz at 1 pa
- Phantom power requirements: 48v dc, 3.8 ma typical
- Weight: 582 g (20.5 oz)
- Dimensions: 165.3 mm (6.51'') long,
- 57.0 mm (2.24'') maximum body diameter
- Output connectors: integral 3-pin XLR m-type
- Accessories furnished: AT8480 shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands; protective carrying case
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.