Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Empirical Labs Mike-E Mic Pre with Compression and Saturationtrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
Empirical Labs Mike-E Mic Pre with Compression and Saturation$1,699.00
- Free Shipping
- Top Rated
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
From the designer of the wildly popular Distressor, a game-changing microphone preamp with compressor and tape-like saturation.
Mic Preamp Section
The preamp section is a super low-noise transformer-input amplifier section with gain digitally controlled gain. This section comes standard with a shielded Lundahl transformer, but allows for a Jensen transformer also.
The signal-to-noise ratio far exceeds any microphone in existence; typically over 130dB with the input shorted and 40dB of gain. Having used many mic preamps over the years, Empirical Labs has implemented a unique stepped-gain control that is impervious to the normal flakiness that age causes to pots and detented switches.
Counting the output gain of 14dB, a total74 dB of gain is available to you with the CompSat section bypassed. Phantom power (+48V) is provided for condenser mics.
Exclusive CompSat Section
This unique circuitry is what sets Mike-E apart from all other mic preamplifiers. It has four sections:
1) Saturator: This is a multi-stage soft clipping circuit. At lower levels, triode-type saturation affects the signal. As the level increases, a second unique clip circuit that includes germanium semiconductors starts to flatten out the peaks more severely. An LED named "BAD!" indicates harder, un-musical clipping.
2) Compressor: This is an uncompromising compressor/limiter circuit with detented control of attack and release for easy repeatability. You adjust the amount of compression with the DRIVE knob, which determines the level going into the compressor. In ways it is like the Empircal Labs Distressor (see #501579), but has differing characteristics including a much longer available attack time and additional circuitry. Four ratios are provided; 2:1 being the gentlest with a long 20dB knee, good for subtle compression, such as while tracking or on the 2-Bus. Ratios 4:1 and 8:1 are steeper but still very smooth with long knees. "Nuke" is very steep (limiter-like) and has a different attack and release shape.
3) Emphasis: Emphasis is actually two circuits that surround the compressor and saturator. Pre-emphasis boosts the high frequencies before the compressor and saturator (CompSat), soft clipping them sooner than normal, while a de-emphasis cuts the complementary frequencies after the CompSat. Emphasis has the added perk of improving signal-to-noise, and is the reason analog tape decks used emphasis to begin with.
4) Mix Control: The modern recording engineer often employs the technique of mixing between the compressed and the dry (or uncompressed) signal. This can often help maintain transients and a sense of dynamic range while enhancing the low level nuances. Mike-E has a built-in mix control to submix uncompressed signal along with the compressed signal. As you rotate the MIX control from full right to full left, you goe from the full compressed signal to the full dry signal (absent of any compression or saturation).
- Mic Preamplifier with super low noise and stepped-gain switching
- Built in Direct Box, called Inst In, offers unparalleled distortion, noise, and frequency response when pre-amplifying instruments.
- "Colored" 80Hz high-pass filter emulates the warm, low-frequency cut of our favorite vintage equalizers
- Phase Switch inverts audio signal 180 degrees.
- CompSat offers both a musical compressor/limiter and a unique tape-like saturation circuit
- High-frequency emphasis system softens high frequency "pile-ups" and furthers the creamy color of the Mike-E
- Mix Control allows the blending of the compressed/saturated signal with the clean unprocessed "Dry" signal
- Transformer-coupled input
- Active and transformer outputs available
- High-quality audio caps used internally
Track with clarity or color - control your sound source on the way in to your DAW with Mike-E. Order today!
Mike-E Mic Pre with Compression and Saturation Specifications:
- Frequency response: 3Hz - 200kHz (No CompSat); with CompSat: 3Hz - 150Khz Optional transformer output: 6Hz-80kHz
- Signal-to-Noise: 130dB signal-to-noise at 40dB gain, maximum output +28dBu
- Distortion: Ranges between .0006% and 15% depending on mode and settings
- Input impedance: 600 ohm
- Output impedance: Less than 38 ohm
- Attack/decay ranges: - .9 - 100mS attack, .15 - 1 sec. decay
- Power consumption: 15 watts max.
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.