- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Golden Age Project Channel Vintage Style Compressor
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- J42129 000000000 J42129000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The COMP-3A is a single-channel vintage-style Compressor/Leveler. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transi...Click To Read More About This Product
Vintage compression, newly manufactured, at a manageable price.
The COMP-3A is a single-channel vintage-style Compressor/Leveler. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors, and the input and output is transformer balanced using two different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available.
Integrated circuits are small and cheap and widely used in most modern designs. The drawback is that audio components built with modern technology don’t always provide the best sound quality or the type of character that the modern user desires.
The subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often preferred over the one delivered by modern units, a situation that is even more obvious now when music is recorded with clean-sounding digital audio equipment. This is the reason why so many vintage audio components are cloned and produced again, and also why the vintage originals are often very expensive on the second-hand market.
The circuit used in the COMP-3A is based on a classic design that uses an electro-luminescent panel and a photoelectric cell to control gain. This gives the COMP-3A unique, program-dependent compression characteristics. In addition, the vintage-style signal path adds a wonderful and musical character to the sound. The ease of use with only two main controls makes it very simple to achieve the desired sound.
These attributes hav made the original units a favorite of engineers and musicians worldwide. This classic sound is now available at a very affordable price point with the COMP-3A.
- No integrated circuits in the signal path
- Transformer-balanced input and output
- Selectable output transformer loading resistors by an internal
- T4-style electro-optical attenuator
- Very simple to operate with only two main controls, Gain and Peak Reduction
- A big meter shows gain reduction or output level at two different reference levels
- Hardwire bypass switch for easy comparisons
- XLR and TRS input and output jacks for flexible connections
- Link jack and switch for connecting to another unit for stereo operation
- All external controls located on the front panel
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers
- Compact 2RU half rack format
- Solid build quality
Order today. A great way to achieve vintage audio sound.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.