Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Golden Age Project COMP-54 MKIII Single-Channel Class A Compressortrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
Golden Age Project COMP-54 MKIII Single-Channel Class A Compressor$399.99
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
- Ships Internationally
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
One channel, vintage style compressor.
This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available. IC's are small and cheap and they are widely used in most modern designs. It is clear though that audio components built with modern technology doesn't always provide the best perceived sound quality or character that the modern user desires. On the contrary, the subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often preferred over the one delivered by modern units. This is the reason why so many vintage audio components are cloned and produced again and also why the vintage originals are often very expensive on the second hand market.
The class-A circuit used in the COMP-54 is similar to the one in the classic 2254 compressor that was designed in 1969. It quickly became a legend due to its totally unique sound character that is warm, smooth, sweet, and musical. These characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on most sound sources and in most genres. The essence of this sound is now available at a surprisingly low cost, making it available to nearly everyone.
The COMP-54 uses a diode bridge as the gain control element, a method that is revered for its smooth way of operation. Some of the most sought after vintage compressor designs, like the 2254, 2264, 33609, Siemens and EMI used the same basic design. The controls in the COMP-54 are very flexible covering broad ranges of Ratio, Attack, and Release times, including two Auto positions. All controls except the Gain make-up one are stepped for easy resetting and stereo matching.
There are three selectable sidechain high pass filter frequencies available to handle special situations. The Bypass switch is a true bypass where a relay switches the complete circuitry in or out. The IN/OUT switch makes it possible to switch the compression on and off while retaining the coloring from the transformers and the electronic circuitry.
The meter can show output level or gain reduction. It is also possible to link two units for stereo operation.
- Vintage style electronics
- Based on classic diode bridge designs
- Transformer balanced I/O's
- Prepared for transformer upgrade
- Flexible control range for Ratio, Attack and Release
- All controls except the Gain make-up one are stepped
- Three selectable Sidechain filter frequencies
- Separate Bypass and Compression IN/OUT switches
- Meter selectable for Output and Gain Reduction
- Possibility to Link two units for stereo operation
- Separate in- and output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections
- Back panel switch for 600 Ohm termination
- External power power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuitry and the transformers
- Great sound that suits most sound sources and genres
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use
Order the COMP-54 today.
COMP-54 MKIII Single-Channel Class A Compressor Specifications:
- Type:Diode Bridge Design Compressor
- Number of Channels:Single channel
- Controls:Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Recovery, Makeup Gain
- Threshold:-10dB to +20dB
- Ratio:1.5:1 to 6:1
- Inputs:1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4" TRS
- Outputs:1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4" TRS
- Side Chain Inserts:Sidechain Highpass Filter
- Other I/O:1 x 1/4" (stereo link), 1 x 1/4" (insert)
- Rack Spaces:1U, Half Rack
- Power Source:24V DC power supply (included)
- Weight:4.8 lbs.
- Manufacturer Part Number: Comp54mk3
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.