Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Neumann KU 100 Dummy Head Binaural Microphonetrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
Neumann KU 100 Dummy Head Binaural Microphone$8,400.00
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
- Ships Internationally
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
When using the KU 100 Dummy Head, the binaural stereo experience moves the listener into the scene of the original performance, in contrast to other space-related recording techniques, where the acoustic event is moved to the listener. The Dummy Head is also used in many industrial applications as a measuring device, for example in acoustic research. The KU 100 can be operated with typical 48 V phantom powering, or from an external power supply unit, or from the built-in battery.
At the bottom of the unit is a switch for the different power supply modes, as well as connectors for balanced and unbalanced output signals. Inside the head are additional switches for 10dB attenuation and the high-pass filter.
The KU 100 Dummy Head is a replica of the human head with a microphone built into each ear. When the recorded audio signal is reproduced through high-quality headphones, the listener perceives a sound image almost identical to the one they would have heard at the recording location of the Dummy Head (head-related stereophony). When played back through loudspeakers, the sound matches to a high degree that of conventional stereo microphones, placed in the same position. However, a superior quality is added, that of a distinct spatial depth perception.
The KU 100 Dummy Head is just as easy to use during creative radio drama productions, and music recordings where the room acoustics should be recorded at the same time. The Dummy Head is also contributed essentially as an important tool to preserve natural sounds of all kinds. In addition, the Dummy Head is frequently used to examine and document the influence of noise in industrial applications at various working places under realistic conditions.
The KU 100 uses transformerless circuitry with the advantage of high output capability, fast transient response and extremely low self noise. The usual output transformers are replaced by electronic circuits. As with traditional transformers, this technique ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference, that may influence the balanced audio signals.
The Dummy Head provides balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (BNC) outputs. It can be powered in three different modes: from an external P 48 phantom power supply, with batteries as part of the internal battery supply or from an external AC mains supply (included with the system).
Filter and Attenuation
A 10dB switch inside the head attenuates the sensitivity. A second switch selects the cutoff frequency of the high-pass filter to be either linear, 40Hz or 150Hz.
The KU 100 comes in a robust aluminum carrying case, together with an external power supply unit, a 5-pin XLR cable, and an adapter cable that splits the 5-pin XLR output into two 3-pin XLR connectors.
- Dummy head microphone for immersive sound experience with headphones
- Loudspeaker compatible
- Natural sound with flat diffuse field response
- Transformerless circuitry for low noise and distortion
- Switchable pad and dual stage low cut
- Solid state
- Condenser transducer
- Frequency Range: 20Hz-20kHz
KU 100 Dummy Head Binaural Microphone Specifications:
- Acoustical Operating Principle: Pressure transducer
- Directional Pattern: Ear
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz-20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kOhm: 20 mV/Pa
- Rated Impedance: 50 ohms balanced, 200 ohms unbalanced
- Rated Load Impedance: 1 kOhms
- Equivalent Noise Level, CCIR: 29dB (23dB lt. BA)
- Equivalent Noise Level, A-weighted: 16dB-A
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%: 135dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation: 145dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, CCIR (re. 94dB SPL): 65dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted (re. 94dB SPL): 78dB
- Maximum Output Voltage: 8dBu
- Supply Voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48V ±4V/6 x 1.5V
- Current Consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 2 x 3.5 mA
- Battery Supply: 6 x 1.5V (AA) "round cell"
- External Power Supply Unit (Supplied): 9V
- Matching Connector: XLR 3F/XLR 5F
- Weight Without Batteries: Approx. 3500 g
- Weight With Carrying Case: Approx. 9500 g
- Height: 280 mm/360 mm (case)
- Width; 180 mm/390 mm (case)
- Depth; 220 mm/260 mm (case)
- Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.