Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 5 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Neumann M 149 Tube Variable Dual-diaphragm Microphonetrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Top Seller
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Recapture a classic sound but with selectable polar patterns.
The M 149 uses the same sound transducer as its famous predecessor, the classic K 47/49 large diaphragm capsule, renowned for its supreme balance and unmatched presence. This delicate dual diaphragm capsule is housed in a large, acoustically open headgrille, which minimizes internal reflections. The capsule signal is then amplified by a subminiature triode tube, specially selected for lowest noise and optimal transmission characteristics. The final stage is a high-precision, ultra-low distortion transformerless output stage, which preserves the full dynamics of the preceding tube circuit and is optimized for 21st century signal chains. The M 149 offers higher sensitivity and much lower noise than vintage tube microphones. And thanks its current sensing technology, which ensures optimal operating conditions for the tube, and its low output impedance, the M 149 can drive long cable runs of up to 300 m without transmission losses. It was this innovative combination of classic tube technology with state of the art Neumann engineering which earned the M 149 a prestigious TEC Award in 1997.
The M 149 offers nine directional characteristics – omni, wide cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8, plus four intermediate positions – as well as a 7-position low cut (20 to 160 Hz in half-octave steps). This flexibility along with an exceptionally low self-noise figure of only 13 dB-A (cardioid mode) makes the M 149 a truly universal studio microphone for all applications. Not only is the M 149 a superb microphone for vocalists in any genre; unlike many other modern tube microphones, it is also an amazingly versatile microphone for a wide range of instruments, such as piano, acoustic and electric guitar, upright bass, percussion, drums overheads, as well as solo strings, brass and woodwind instruments. The M 149 is a premium microphone which will satisfy even the most demanding users.
- Same capsule as the legendary Neumann M 49
- Classic sound in nine directional patterns
- Seven-position low cut switch
- Tube circuit with extremely low self-noise
- Transformerless output stage
- Comes with power supply
M 149 Tube Variable Dual-diaphragm Microphone Specifications:
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional Pattern: Omnidirectional, wide angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8 plus one intermediate position each
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 34/47/62 mV/Pa (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Rated Impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR 1: 28/25/23 dB (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted 2: 16/13/11 dB-A (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Typical SPL (tube characteristic) for K<0.5% 3: 120 dB
- Typical SPL (tube characteristic) for K<5% 4: 136 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL) 5: 66/69/71 dB (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted (re. 94 dB SPL) 6: 78/81/83 dB (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Maximum output voltage: 18 dBu
- Dynamic range of the amplifier, DIN/IEC 651, for THD < 0.5% 7: 101 dB
- Dynamic range of the amplifier, DIN/IEC 651, for THD < 5% 8: 121 dB
- Power supply: N 149 A
- Matching connector: Microphone: DIN 8 F, Power Supply: XLR 3 F
- Weight: approx. 730 g
- Diameter: 70 mm
- Length: 201 mm
- Orders placed before 5 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.