Why Shop With Us?
Free Standard Ground shipping (48 contiguous states, some overweight and Used/Vintage items excluded).
Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.Learn More
2-Year Free Warranty on Guitars
Every guitar or bass you purchase from Musician's Friend (electric or acoustic, New or Open Box) includes two years of protection from manufacturer defects.Contact Us for Details
We're Here for You
Our Gear Advisers are available to guide you through your entire shopping experience. Call or Chat for expert advice and to hear the latest deals.Contact Us
MON - FRI 5 AM - 8 PM PT
SAT - SUN 6 AM - 7 PM PT
Neumann TLM 170 R MT Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Blacktrue true
Musician's Friend Rewards
This oversized item has special shipping requirements
- Free Shipping
- Flexible Financing
- Lowest Price
- Ships Internationally
Gold Coverage Protection
Protect your gear
Gold Coverage Protection
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.
Colorless Neumann mic for a broad variety of applications.
As a result, the TLM 170 R is appropriate for many different applications in professional recording studios, broadcasting, film and television, and semiprofessional productions. The polar patterns can be selected either at the microphone itself, or controlled remotely through the special N 248 power supply.
The large diaphragm capsule inside the grille has a very smooth frequency response for all polar patterns over a wide acceptance angle. The curves are flat and parallel to the 0 frequency curve up to 10 kHz within an angle of ± 100.
The TLM 170 R has a very even diffuse-field response for all polar patterns. This is important in a reverberant environment, as more reflections arrive at the microphone from different directions. The acoustic information is not affected in its tonal quality when recorded by the microphone. This characteristic is achieved without resorting to corrective resonance effects.
Therefore, the microphone maintains an excellent impulse response reproducing all transient phenomena of music and speech without any coloration. The capsule is elastically mounted to avoid any structure borne noise that could interfere with its operation.
In addition to the usual directional polar patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8, Neumann has added a hyper-cardioid and wide-angle cardioid characteristic. When compared to the standard cardioid pattern, the hyper-cardioid characteristic suppresses sound from the side more efficiently. The wide-angle polar pattern is especially useful to record large sound sources.
The N 248 controls the polar pattern remotely by varying the phantom voltage. The range is ± 3 V of the nominal 48 V value. (According to DIN standard a range of ± 4 V is permissible.)
The rotary switch on the microphone must be in the position R (= remote control). In this switch position the TLM 170 R microphone analyses the absolute value of the phantom power and selects the corresponding polar pattern. A standard 3-pin microphone cable is used, similar to the microphone's conventional operation. Cable lengths may be up to 300 m (1000 feet).
The letters TLM stand for "transformerless microphone". With TLM technology the usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit. As with traditional transformers, it ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference, that may influence the balanced audio signal.
Use on tripods
The TLM 170 R is provided with a tilting side bracket to attach the microphone to booms or stands. The bracket is equipped with rubber elements that effectively protect the microphone from mechanical shock. If necessary, it can be mounted on the other side of the microphone as well.
When using the IC 4 cable (for example to suspend the microphone from the ceiling with the MNV 87 auditorium hanger), the bracket and its holder need to be removed. The microphone can then be connected to the swivel mount connector of the cable.
Filter and attenuation
The TLM 170 R microphone has a 10 dB attenuation switch to prevent the input of the following unit from being overloaded. A second switch at the rear attenuates the frequency response below 100 Hz to suppress undesired structure-borne noise.
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Max SPL: 144 dB
- Capsule: Condenser
- Pattern: Multi-pattern
- Type: Mounted
- Applications: Studio, stage, theatrical
- Phantom power required: Yes
- L x W x (D): 2.4 x 6 "
- Weight: 1.4 lbs.
- Case: Pouch
- Clip: Hard rubber
- Power supply: No
Equip your studio with a microphone that's good at everything. Order today.
TLM 170 R MT Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Specifications:
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Omnidirectional, wide angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8
- Frequency range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 8 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 26 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 14 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 68 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 80 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 144 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation2): 154 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 10 dBu
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3 mA
- Matching connector: XLR3F
- Weight: 625 g
- Diameter: 60 mm
- Length: 152 mm
- Orders placed before 3 p.m. ET usually ship the same business day.