- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Radial Engineering PZ-DI Acoustic/Orchestral Instrument Active Direct Box
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- H92296 000000000 H92296000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The Radial PZ-DI is a unique direct box that is specifically designed for acoustic and orchestral instruments. Unlike most direct boxes that are limi...Click To Read More About This Product
Get the right signal to the board.
The Radial PZ-DI is a unique direct box that is specifically designed for acoustic and orchestral instruments. Unlike most direct boxes that are limited to a 'one size fits all' design, the PZ-DI lets you properly match the input impedance to the source to optimize the frequency response, dynamics and feel so that no matter what type of pickup you employ, you will enjoy smoother, more musically pleasing results.
The design begins with a 3-position load adjustment switch: The 1 meg-ohm position delivers the classic impedance found on most active DI boxes. The 220k-ohm setting warms up the tone of a magnetic pickup to give you the feel and tone as if connected to a tube amplifier. The ultra-high 10 meg-ohm impedance is used to compensate for the harsh, squawky tone that usually plagues piezo-equipped instruments. This is followed by a fully variable high-pass filter that lets you 'size the instrument' by gently rolling off bass frequencies to eliminate unwanted resonance. You could for instance, retain the low frequencies on a cello or increase the cut-off point to better suit a violin. For active instruments such as acoustic guitars that incorporate a battery powered preamp, you can engage a low-pass filter to gently soften the hard edge for a smoother more natural tone.
To maximize signal handling and reduce distortion, the PZ-DI incorporates an innovative DC to DC switching supply that converts the phantom power to deliver extra headroom. This provides ample dynamic range for acoustic instruments. Should an extra loud source such as an active bass or digital keyboard be encountered, simply activate the -15dB pad to satisfy the situation. Other problem solvers include a 180 polarity reverse switch to tame hot spots on stage that can cause feedback and a ground lift switch to help eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops.
The Radial PZ-DI is a ground breaking direct box that can instantly adapt to all types of pickups so that you can enjoy the full frequency response and dynamics of an orchestral string instrument, smooth-out the peaks of bluegrass fiddle, banjo or mandolin, split off a bass guitar without excessive loading, or naturally amplify an acoustic guitar without the usual tone-altering effects.
- Optimized for orchestral instruments on a live stage
- Adjustable load for piezo and magnetic pickups
- Variable low-cut filter to control bass resonance
- 48V phantom powered, does not require batteries
Order today and what is coming out of your instrument will be coming out of the front of house.
- Audio circuit type: Proprietary analog circuit with low-noise FET op-amp
- Frequency response: 20Hz 20kHz
- Dynamic range: 105dB
- Equivalent input noise: -98dBu
- Maximum gain: +4.6dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.02% /td>
- Input impedance: 10M/1M/220K-Ohms
- Input impedance with PAD on: 50K-Ohms
- Output impedance: 200 Ohms - nominal
- Input pad: -15dB
- XLR configuration: AES standard (pin-2 hot)
- Power: 48V phantom - proprietary digital switching
- Construction: 14 gauge steel chassis and outer shell, baked enamel finish
- Size: 2.75" x 4.25" x 1.75" (70 x 108 x 45mm)
- Weight: 1.2 lb (544 g)
- FCC approval: Complies with section 15 of the FCC Rules
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.