- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Rupert Neve Designs Portico 511 500-Series Mic Preamp with Texture Control
- Write a Review
- J03717 000000000 J03717000000000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
With a big, bold preamp and the flexibility of variable Silk/Texture, Rupert Neve designed the 511 to combine classic sonics with 500-series value. I...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
500-series preamp with Red Silk / Texture control
With a big, bold preamp and the flexibility of variable Silk/Texture, Rupert Neve designed the 511 to combine classic sonics with 500-series value. Incorporating the 517's powerful preamp, the 5012's universally useful sweepable high pass filter, and the transformer-saturating power of a variable silk circuit derived from Neve's flagship Portico II Channel, the 511 is a Rupert Neve-designed mic pre for the masses. While it's challenging to design 500-series modules that are equal to their non-500 series counterparts, the team at Rupert Neve experimented with a number of different transformer and circuit designs so they could achieve the same presence and sweetness that is found in the standard Portico Series modules making them perfectly suited for the highest caliber studio environments.
Input signals may be derived from Mic or Line sources (make sure 48V is off for line sources!). The input has a 10K ohm non-reactive input resistance that handles a full 22dBu signal without the need for a pad. The pre-amp is a TLA non-reactive design that precludes the loading of microphones with limited driving capability. A primary gain control provides 66dB of gain in 6dB increments for easy recall, with a +/- 6dB trim for fine adjustment. For condenser microphones and powered DIs, there is +48V phantom power. A transient-optimized HPF continuously covering the range from 20-250Hz is included to tame rumble and proximity effect.
One of the key developments in the 511 is the Red Silk / Texture control from the Portico II Channel. Building on the "Silk" mode found in the Portico Series mic pre-amplifiers, Texture is designed to adjust the actual amount of harmonic music content from the source material, in effect, providing wide range of tonal options for the preamplifier. Like the original Portico Silk, the Silk Red / Texture works by reducing negative feedback on the output transformer and adjusting the frequency response to more closely resemble Mr. Rupert Neve's vintage designs. With the 511, the Texture control allows these techniques to be pushed further than previous designs, adding about 10 times the desirable THD of the original silk control at its maximum setting.
Low Noise, Low Distortion Operation
Much care was given in designing the 511 to produce as little noise and non-harmonic distortion as possible. Carefully implemented signal paths and Class A operation are a large part of the 511‚Ä≤s sweet, whisper quiet performance. For more information, go to Mr. Rupert Neve's Design Notes.
The fine subtleties of circuit design relating to sonic performance are gradually becoming more clearly understood. For example, research has shown conclusively that frequencies above 20kHz affect the way in which humans perceive sound quality. But, long before scientific evidence emerged a substantial body of musicians and engineers knew that equipment with apparently the same technical measurements could sound very different. Input and output circuits must be freed from ground dependence so that only the "wanted" signal enters and leaves the processing path. Transformers are the ideal solution. The sweet and silky sound of Rupert Neve's classic old favorite consoles was achieved with big transistors and large high-quality transformers. Rupert Neve Designs Portico modules achieve similar quality today without the bulk or the cost.
- 12-way precision rotary switch controls gain from 0 to 66 dB in 6 dB steps
- Continuously variable +/-6 dB level control
- Silk circuit, reduces negative feedback, adding harmonic content as needed
- Red Silk accentuates the saturation in the mid and high frequencies
- Same presence and sweetness found in standard Portico Series modules
This 500-series preamp is suited for any studio from home, to the highest caliber environments.
- Noise: Measured at Main Output, un-weighted, 22Hz-22kHz, source impedance 150 Ohms balanced. Noise performance can vary depending on the 500 series and / or interference from stray magnetic fields.
- Unity Gain Better than -103dBV
- With Gain @ +66dB Better than -60dBV
- Equivalent Input Noise -125dB
- Frequency Response
- Main output, no load Main Output +/- 0.1dBu from 10Hz to 31.5kHz -2.6dB @ 120kHz
- Maximum Output Level +23dBu
- Total Harmonic Distortion and Noise @ 1kHz, +20dBu output level, no load. Better than 0.0025% @ 20Hz, +20dBu output level, no load. 0.025% Typical (2nd and 3rd harmonic)
- Total Harmonic Distortion and Noise with SILK engaged TEXTURE @ min
- @ 100Hz, +20dBu input level, no load 0.015%, mostly 3rd harmonic (typical)
- TEXTURE @ max
- @ 100Hz, +20dBu input level, no load 2%, mostly 2rd harmonic (typical)
- Gain Unity up to +66dB in 6dB steps. Trim continuously adjustable from -6dB to +6dB.
- Phantom Power Supplied by the 500 series rack power supply. Switch selectable on faceplate.
- High Pass Filter Continuously variable swept frequency from 20Hz to 250Hz.
- Slope: 12dB/Octave
- Power Requirements @ +/-16VDC 100mA
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.