- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Sonnet Echo Express III-D Thunderbolt 2 Expansion Chassis for PCIe Cards
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- J02925 000000000 J02925000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Today's ultra-light notebooks, mini, and all-in-one desktop computers now have tremendous processing power-power that many thought would only be poss...Click To Read More About This Product
Today's ultra-light notebooks, mini, and all-in-one desktop computers now have tremendous processing power-power that many thought would only be possible in full-size workstation or large desktop computers. Smaller in size and more portable, they're very desirable. For pros in the creative fields, processing power alone is not enough. A prime example is the new Mac Pro. Proven to be a processing powerhouse and packed with Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0 ports, it lacks the PCIe expansion slots necessary to install specialty cards to connect various video and audio inputs for transcoding data, and to connect to high-speed storage and networks. With the Echo Express III-R, Sonnet has created a solution that leverages the paradigm shift enabled by Thunderbolt technology, allowing PCIe expansion slots to be connected outside a computer. This rackmount Thunderbolt-to-PCIe card expansion chassis makes it possible for you to connect three professional video capture, audio interface, SAS or SATA HBA, 16Gb or 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and RAID controller PCIe cards to any Mac with a Thunderbolt port.
Sonnet's Echo Express III-R supports three full-size PCIe cards, up to 12.28" (full-length). The III-R integrates a universal 300W power supply and includes a 75W PCIe power connector for cards that require supplementary power, such as the Avid Pro Tools|HDX or the new RED ROCKET-X. Even with all that power, the III-R is enviro-friendly; it automatically powers on or off whenever the connected computer powers on or wakes, or powers off or sleeps, respectively. The use of large, slow-spinning fans in the Echo Express III-R makes it a remarkably quiet operator. Two Thunderbolt ports support daisy chaining of up to six devices to a single port on your computer.
Built for Speed
20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 technology-equipped computers are here. The original 10Gbps Thunderbolt interface has provided breakthrough bandwidth for external expansion, more than sufficient to support the maximum performance of most PCIe cards. However, some high bandwidth cards such as the RED ROCKET, 16Gb Fibre Channel, multi-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet cards, or the use of other bandwidth-hungry cards require more than 10Gbps. Thunderbolt 2 removes this barrier by providing more bandwidth for demanding applications. The Echo Express III-R's Thunderbolt 2 interface takes full advantage of this increased bandwidth to ensure optimum performance from installed cards when the chassis is connected to a Thunderbolt 2-equipped computer. Need to connect to a computer equipped with 10Gbps Thunderbolt? No problem, the Echo Express III-R is fully compatible with earlier generation Thunderbolt computers as well.
- Use PCIe Expansion Cards with Computers Lacking PCIe Slots”Use high-performance PCIe cards with Thunderbolt-equipped computers
- Thunderbolt 2 Interface”Maximum performance with computers with Thunderbolt 2 technology, backward compatible with host computers and other devices equipped with 10Gbps Thunderbolt technology
- Three PCIe Slots”Supports three full-length, full-height, single-width cards, or one double-width card plus one single-width card
- Remarkably Quiet”Large, temperature-controlled, variable-speed fans that automatically cool the cards, plus computer-modeled design that reduces airflow turbulence and velocity, combine to provide quieter cooling for all cards
- Integrated Universal Power Supply”Built-in 300W power supply with 75W auxiliary power connector
- Rugged Steel Housing”Provides robust and secure protection for any environment
- Every Thunderbolt-Compatible Card Supported”Works with every Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe card, regardless of length or height
- Warranty: 5-year
- Dimensions WxDxH:: 19 x 16 x 3.48"
- Weight : 19 lbs.
- Form Factor: Rackmount
- External Connectors: Two Thunderbolt
- Internal Connector: 6-pin Mini-Fit Jr (same type as on legacy Mac Pro motherboard; provides up to 75W of power for PCIe cards that require supplemental power)
- Expansion Slots:
- One x8 mechanical (x8 electrical) PCIe 2.0
- One x16 mechanical (x8 electrical) PCIe 2.0
- One x8 mechanical (x4 electrical) PCIe 2.0
- PCIe Cards Supported(1):
- One full length, full-height, double-width PCIe card, plus one single-width card
- Three full length, full-height, single-width PCIe cards
- Compatible PCIe Cards(2): Up-to-date PCIe cards listed on our supporting PCIe Card Thunderbolt Compatibility Chart
- Power Supply: Universal 300W, 115-230V AC, 50-60 Hz
- Operating Temperature:
- 0? C to 35? C (32? F to 95? F)
- RoHS Compliant: Yes
- Package Contents:
- Echo Express III-R chassis(1)
- Power cord
- Thunderbolt cable lock(3)
- Note: PCIe cards and Thunderbolt cable sold separately
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.