- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
Taylor Builder's Edition 717e Grand Pacific Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Wild Honey Burst
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- #L47656 000002000 L47656000002000
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
The Grand Pacific is a new Taylor shape that delivers a new Taylor sound. Built on the innovative V-Class bracing platform, the Grand Pacific is a fu...Click To Read More About This Product
6-Month* financing available.
An exclusive Taylor round shoulder dreadnought design with V-Class bracing that produces a warm, seasoned tone.
The Grand Pacific is a new Taylor shape that delivers a new Taylor sound. Built on the innovative V-Class bracing platform, the Grand Pacific is a fully realized example of how body shapes and tonewoods can be sculpted to create distinct and highly desirable tonal palettes. The Builder's Edition 717e Grand Pacific further showcases Taylor's pursuits to create the most player-friendly guitars in both sound and feel: a compound carve neck profile, rolled fretboard edges, chamfered body edges, and new Curve Wing bridge shape. The Grand Pacific is a unique entry to the dreadnought category, possessing clear low-end power, tonal consistency and sweeping versatility. The Grand Pacific ships in a luxurious hardshell case with Western floral pattern, made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
V-Class bracing helps create an even clearer delineation between the tonal character of each wood. Sitka Spruce is the most prevalent guitar top wood of the modern era. It blends stiffness and elasticity in just the right proportions which translates into broad dynamic range with crisp articulation. The Sitka spruce top on this 717e Grand Pacific features a special seasoning process called "torrefaction", a method of roasting the wood to produce an aged tonal character with greater acoustic resonance and responsiveness. Rosewood, as a general rule, imparts a sound that can be described as "wet" and lives near the other end of the spectrum from mahogany. Rosewood produces a unique harmonic complexity because it doesn’t damp or mute any of the string’s own harmonic content, and even adds some of its own. So every note played has a thick, rich, luxurious character. It almost feels as if there's a little bit of reverb in it.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. Because the pickup doesn't sit under the saddle, the bottom of the saddle comes in full contact with the bridge, allowing all the nuance of the guitar's tone to come through clearly whether playing acoustically or plugged-in. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before while playing plugged-in. Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, and active bass and treble controls.
Taylor's V-Class bracing is a fundamental innovation in acoustic guitar design. It marks an important evolution beyond traditional X-bracing, introducing an entirely new platform for acoustic performance. It is essentially a "sonic engine" that optimizes the response of an acoustic guitar in three key ways: by boosting volume, sustain, and by largely resolving the intonation (in-tune-ness) issues that have long plagued acoustic guitars. V-Class bracing creates purer, more orderly notes that don't cancel each other out or sound "off". They have clearer, more consistent response, and the whole fretboard is brought into greater sonic alignment for a more musical playing/listening experience. Guitars with V-Class bracing are easier to tune; the pitch sounds purer and more solid, and electronic tuners can more easily locate notes for quick, precise tuning. Other benefits: harmonics ring more uniformly down the neck, notes are louder with more projection and sustain, and notes are more consistent, i.e., upper register notes don't get choked out or swallowed. Fewer "sour" sonic qualities exist with chords; a more agreeable relationship is created between notes as they ripen, bloom and decay.
The Taylor Difference
What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- New for 2019 exclusive round shoulder dreadnought created by Master Luthier Andy Powers
- V-Class bracing for better in-tuneness, sustain, projection
- Beveled body edges
- Mother-of-pearl peghead and fretboard inlays
- Taylor ES2 electronics
- Special "Country Western" deluxe hardshell case
- Body type: Round Shoulder drednought
- Cutaway: No
- Top wood: Solid torrified Sitka spruce
- Back and sides: Solid Indian rosewood
- Bracing pattern: V-Class
- Body finish: Satin
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Taylor Grand Pacific Compound Carve
- Nut width: 1.75" (44.45 mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine West African ebony
- Neck wood: Tropical mahogany
- Scale length: 25.5"
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: Yes
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-saddle transducer with Adjustable Sensors
- Preamp EQ: 2-band Explained above
- Feedback filter: Phase
- Tuner: No
- Headstock overlay: Genuine West African ebony
- Tuning machines: Nickel tuners with nickel buttons
- Bridge: Genuine West African ebony
- Saddle and nut: Micarta "wave"/Graphite nut
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features:
- Case: Taylor Deluxe hardshell "Country Western" case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: United States
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.