- Back to Top
- OverviewJump to Overview
- FeaturesJump to Features
- WarrantyJump to Warranty
- ReviewsJump to Reviews
sE Electronics Rupert Neve Active Ribbon Microphone
- Write a Review
- Questions & Answers
- L70463 000000000 L70463000000000
6-Month* financing available.
- Free Shipping (48 Contiguous U.S. States)
Meet the RNR1 - the world's first mic from Mr. Rupert Neve. With custom transformers and discrete circuitry from the man behind the recording industr...Click To Read More About This Product
A custom design from Rupert Neve.
Meet the RNR1 - the world's first mic from Mr. Rupert Neve. With custom transformers and discrete circuitry from the man behind the recording industry, the RNR1 hears more than any other ribbon on the planet. Ribbon mics have been around for a long time, and have always been particularly prized for the exceptionally "natural" sound they provide. Not too forward, never bright or shiny, they capture midrange detail with a pleasant intimacy and usually sit quite easily in a mix. One downside of their mellow nature used to be physical delicacy, but that challenge was conquered long ago with more rugged, reliable materials. But the other main negative with ribbon mics is the high-frequency roll-off inherent in their design, which had never been dealt with until Rupert Neve - the father of the recording console - decided to make a microphone.
Nobody knows audio transformers better than Rupert Neve, and ribbon mics require more transformer attention than any other. This is because the transformer that couples the ribbon to the output needs to accomplish a fairly massive impedance conversion. With the RNR1, two custom Rupert Neve-designed transformers form the buffer between the ribbon and the outside world. The circuitry between those transformers helps maintain the ultra-wide frequency response, compensating for the ribbon's natural predisposition to roll it off, and thus high-frequency content is preserved.
During the RNR1's development, a full year was spent working on crafting a ribbon element that would provide the extended response that Mr. Neve demanded. After experimenting with ribbon materials available from all corners of the world, the design team landed on the 2.5µm aluminum ribbon used in the RNR1, striking the perfect balance of flexibility and stiffness needed for this microphone's exceptional performance.
As with many sE microphones, the RNR1 has an unusual and bold design aesthetic, with the form following the function. The precision-machined and scalloped edges don't just look vibrant and dramatic, they have also been custom-designed to provide the ribbon with an acoustically ideal setting for the best possible frequency response.
Matte Black Finish
The matte black finish means the mic remains unobtrusive and doesn't draw any unnecessary attention to itself under harsh stage or studio lighting.
Custom Shock Mount
The RNR1 includes a custom-designed and easy-to-use shock mount, which is essential in use to reduce the unwanted effects of vibration or knocks to the supporting microphone stand.
Order your RNR1 active ribbon microphone by Rupert Neve today.
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient with active electronics
- Generating Element: Hand-tensioned 2.5µm aluminum ribbon
- Directional Pattern: Figure-8
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 25 kHz
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 22.39 mV/Pa (-33 dB)
- Max SPL: 135 dB (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 76 dB
- Self Noise: 18 dB(A)
- Low Cut Filter Switch: 100 Hz
- Matching Connectors: XLR3F
- Power requirement: 48V phantom
- Weight: 30.34 oz.
Musician's Friend Gold Coverage
Gold Coverage goes above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty to protect your gear from unexpected breakdowns, accidental damage from handling and failures. This plan covers your product for one, two, three or up to five years from your date of purchase, costs just pennies per day and gives you a complete "no-worry" solution for protecting your investment.
Gold Coverage Includes:
- Unexpected and unintentional spills, drops and cracks
- Normal wear and tear
- Power surges
- Dust, internal heat and humidity
Other plan features include:
- For products over $200, No Lemon Policy applies. If it fails for the same defect 3 times, it is replaced on the 4th breakdown. (Does not apply to failures due to drops, spills, and cracks)
- For products under $200 experiencing the above failures, a Musician's Friend gift card will be issued for the full price of the product + tax.
- Shipping fees covered if required for repair or replacement
- Plans are transferable in the event merchandise is sold
- Plans are renewable on new gear
*Limitations and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions (Opens in new window) for program details
Term for New Gear begins on date of purchase but does not replace the store return policy or manufacturer coverage.